American Idol and Poverty

My wife and I don't watch or follow American Idol. Actually, with an active toddler at home, we don't watch much TV other than Blues Clues and the Wiggles. So I certainly did not think that I would blog about American Idol (although it will be interesting to see my page view numbers once I do!).

This morning, however, I read E.J. Dionne Jr.'s column about the decision of the producers of American Idol to use the program to increase awareness of poverty:


Is there something worse than a multimillion-dollar televised entertainment operation patting itself on the back for weeks on end in celebration of its brilliantly inventive and groundbreaking approach to philanthropy?

Actually, there is something worse: a total indifference to human suffering. If pampered stars and their corporate patrons have a hankering for public approval or -- could it be? -- a sense of authentic obligation, perhaps that behavior should be encouraged.


Those among the 30 million or so regular watchers of Fox's "American Idol" (yes, I confess I'm one) will know I'm referring to the "Idol Gives Back" spectacular that airs tonight and tomorrow to raise money for poor children in the United States and Africa.

. . .

What marks a genuine cultural change is "Idol's" interest in poverty itself. The extravaganza is not just about collecting money for some good causes (America's Second Harvest; Save the Children; Boys & Girls Clubs of America; the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria; and UNICEF, among others). The program will, in effect, be a sustained, two-night argument to "Idol" viewers that they might have an obligation to do something about injustice and the pain of others. This is subversive.


Read it all. I agree with E.J.--the producers are taking a risk with this emphasis on poverty. This is not a "safe" cause like disease or disaster relief, but instead focuses on scandal of extreme poverty throughout the world and devastating poverty in the United States. Let's hope it works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giles Fraser on Gay Marriage

Religious Map of United States

New Climate Change Study