More on the Islamic Episcopal Priest

I earlier blogged about The Rev. Dr. Ann Holmes Redding, an Episcopal priest who has recently professed her faith in Islam. Like almost every Episcopal blogger (including to the surprise and dismay of the conservatives, virtually every liberal or reappraising Episcopalian blogger), I thought this went too far--you can't both meet your vows as an Episcopal priest ans be a Muslim.

I turns out that Rev. Holmes, while she resides in Washington, is subject to the Bishop of Rhode Island, who announced a quite sensible period of reflection for Rev. Holmes:
After meeting with her I issued a Pastoral Direction giving her the opportunity to reflect on the doctrines of the Christian faith, her vocation as a priest, and what I see as the conflicts inherent in professing both Christianity and Islam. During the next year she is not to exercise any of the responsibilities and privileges of an Episcopal priest or deacon. Other aspects of the Pastoral Direction will remain private.

I am sending this e-mail to you because the continued web-site coverage suggests that I be as clear as possible with those exercising leadership in our diocese.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giles Fraser on Gay Marriage

Religious Map of United States

New Climate Change Study