Maison de Naissance: Saving the World One Child (and One Mother) at A Time

"I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink'...Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink?...'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me." Matthew 25:35, 37, 40

We as Christians need to take very seriously this call to take care of the "least of these who are members of my family." Accordingly, from time to time, this blog will discuss organizations that meet this call, and are therefore worthy of our support.

The first organization for which I urge your support is Maison de Naissance .

Maternal and infant mortality rates in Haiti are the highest in the western hemisphere and among the highest in the world. One in every 16 women in Haiti will die during childbirth (about 200 times the risk of mothers in the United States). Most women have known a relative or neighbor who has died in childbirth. One in every 12 infants will die before their first birthday. The period of greatest risk is immediately following birth.

Maison de Naissance is a maternity center designed as a birthing home. Its mission is to provide preferential care for mothers and babies in extreme poverty in Haiti. The services of a modern maternity center are offered in the hospitality of a safe, culturally appropriate, welcoming, and friendly home - a house of birth - Maison de Naissance.

Although Maison de Naissance is operated in Haiti as an institution of the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti, my wife Allison and I have more personal ties to the organization. Allison's best friend from high school is Dr. Elizabeth Wickstrom MD, high risk OB/GYN who makes several trips a year to volunteer at the Maison de Naissance maternity center, and who was one of its founders.

Want to meet Christ's challenge to help the least of these? Consider a donation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giles Fraser on Gay Marriage

Religious Map of United States

New Climate Change Study